Sunday 7 July 2013

For the love of my home in Australia.

My country Australia.

'Australia Day' is on January 26 th, we commemorate the establishment of the first European settlement, at Port Jackson, now part of Sydney,  in 1788. It is a day for all Australians to celebrate their country and culture.       Though I was born in England, I have now lived in Australia more years than I did in England....40 years now.
The following poem by Dorothea Mackellar (born in Sydney in 1885-1968.) encapsulates my feelings for this land.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges, 
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons.
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror-
The wide brown land for me!


Sunrise through a Gumtree in the High Country, in Mansfield, Victoria.


Driving home in a thunder storm in Tasmania.


A warm day on the beach, near our then home, on Bruny Island
Tasmania. 2010.


A cold day on Bruny Island....what a magnificent landscape,
living next to the sea was such a pleasure.


Early settlers tumbled down farm house. 


This wide green land, in this case, where I now live.




I think we now deserve a simple repas, outside of my old studio, after our mini grand tour.
It is a diverse country, and these few pictures tell only part of the story of Australia.