Monday 10 June 2013

Patterns - Stripes

It took me a while to work this one out. I had never really thought about it. I think I like organic shapes. But then when I stop and consider what sorts of patterns I take into my work, hmm, not so sure. But the more I have thought about it, I think it must be stripes.

I hadn't realised their subtle influence had become a sort of a basic for me as in the way people in fashion say things like brown is the new black (or whatever it is at the moment)

I have a series of work where I did corded pin tucks inspired by the boning channels in Tudor period corsets.
This is the page in my Research for Design folder from City and Guilds Fashion.

This led to corded channels to highlight the pattern in striped fabric. I have a whole box of striped fabrics to use in this way. This is a duvet cover on the floor in my studio. My friend was throwing away, but I had to rescue it!

However, I am following a stripe related side track at present where the regular lines of writing are being used as a stripe..like this fabric which I am using with the writing turned 45 degrees.

Anyway, the prompt spurred me on to go find stripes round my neighbourhood. I found the fences the most interesting.
Perhaps because both the negative and the positive create stripes?