Wednesday 2 October 2013

Seeing Red

This quilt was made about 13 years ago. It was a challenge from a group I belonged to called "Cover to Cover". It was based on a Dr Seuss book, Oh the Thinks You Can Think. At the time, I was learning how to dye fabric and one of the class teachers commented on how she disliked pink and never used it in a quilt. Some of the hand dyes from that class were incorporated. I named this piece  If You Think About Pink, Does It Make You See Red in her honor. haha


A more recent quilt using the color red is this one I call Heirlooms.


It is based on the Barbara Kingsolver book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. She describes the plethora of tomatoes that cover every surface of her kitchen in August each year. I envisioned a stack of tomatoes sitting on a granite counter top with light flickering in through the window.

 I love to use red in quilts. What a spark!