Friday 8 February 2013

Lover of Found Objects


For as long as I can remember, I have been a lover of found objects. I collect rocks during my travels. You'll find them in my pockets, purse and suitcases. On my last day of living on the island of Aruba, I drove to one of my favorite secluded, "secret" beaches and take one of the black rocks that covered the cove (center rock). The bowl was created out of a piece of drift wood from another beach on the island. You'll find bowls of rocks in different places in my home including my studio. This bowl lives on a carved Mexican table in my entry way.

Feathers are another love and something I collect on my walks and in my travels. I use to have a handmade wooden bowl with a wonderful display of feathers, but E.G., my cat, decided it was her life mission to have them displayed on the floor so those feathers are now in a box. This arrangement lives on my wall in my studio where she can only admire it from a distance.

Looking around my home, you'll find bowls of acorns, bones, shells, fossilized sharks teeth, pottery shards from an archeological dig and rusted letter Es from Georgia. All of these things have ended up in my art work from time to time.

I also am a lover of quotes. Here is one of my favorites about love and I would add "what you love.":

It matters not who you love, where you love, why you love, when you love or how you love, it only matters that you love. - John Lennon