Sunday 15 January 2012

Time

An armillary (celestial globe) sphere was origanally used by astronomers to determine the position of stars. The sphere acts as a sun dial. This sphere was originally next to my husband's paternal grandmother's goldfish pond. For many years after Grandmother Vigor passed away the sphere was in my FIL's garden. It was passed on to my husband and myself in 1982. For many years it graced our goldfish pond until we moved this past August to Lexington, KY. As yet we haven't landscaped and constructed a new pond but we plan to this spring. The photos show different views of the sphere with the Roman numerals for telling time nicely patinaed. I like to think of the passage of time and family connections when I look at the sphere and know that it will be passed on to other generations.



Posted by Picasa