Friday 4 June 2010

Featured Blog - Stroll Through Storyland

Hi all! I'm the storybeader. I'm a museum curator in Oklahoma, and have been at the same job now for almost 25 years. I take care of all two-dimensional items: books, paper, and photographs. I write exhibit text and work with researchers. It's a great job, and I love it. My only regret is that I'm not near the ocean, where I was raised. A few years ago, I decided to make some jewelry for myself, and really got a kick out of working with all the beautiful colors.


Here's my first necklace - not the greatest picture, but I was just learning the techniques of photography. About a year ago, I decided to take a bookmaking class. It's always been a dream of mine, to be a bookbinder - this was the closest I could get. Here's one of my artist notebooks, called Water's Edge, and the haiku that I wrote for it:



"Three nymphs came down to
The water's edge, waving strips
Of silk in the air."





Being the smart business lady that I am, I thought having a blog would be a good way of directing traffic to my Etsy shop. That didn't really happen... But what I DID realize is that I love to write. I blog about the neat places I visit, give other artisans and bloggers tips that might help them with their businesses, and write reviews about the books I'm reading. At the end of 2008, I started a weekly "column" where I interview other artisans. If anybody would like to participate in my Friday "Internet Artisan Interview," just leave me a note, and I'll send the questions your way.

Oh yes, here my blog address: http://www.storybeader.com